Thursday, August 6, 2015

Everybody Seeks Community by John Talley III


As a young boy, I grew up in many different cities and states. I’ve lived in Philadelphia, Brooklyn, Albuquerque, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, New Jersey, and Arizona. The main reasons for my relocations were due to the military, but moving from place to place was second nature to me. So much so, that some of my peers would jokingly refer to me as a “nomad.” During this time of moving and growing up, I struggled with the idea of “belonging.” I asked myself, where do I fit in? Where am I embraced?

Little did I know that I was really looking for was community. The term “community” refers to a group of people living amongst each other and sharing commonality. This is what I wanted. Where is the group of people that would be my community? Everybody seeks some type of community in some form or fashion; here are the three avenues in which people typically find this community, which they seek.

Gangs. I recall a time while in middle school, when I wore a blue outfit and a female asked, “Why are you wearing all that flu”? (In gang culture, “flu” refers to the color blue, but it is more of an insult coming from an opposing gang such as the “Bloods.”) Keep in mind, I was completely oblivious to the Bloods, Crips, or any other gang—for that matter.

One thing the gangs held in common was that they each held deep allegiance to this group of people they considered to be their community. They had an interesting bond that in some cases could not be broken. Most of these people who joined gangs were just like me yearning for a sense of “belonging—due to the reality of sin and fatherlessness. Young men and women become part of this type of community. Unfortunately, their common interest is centered on money, drugs, sex, and violence. Nevertheless, what they sought was community, a sense of belonging.

Fraternities. During my first year in college, I had the opportunity to join a fraternity, but I chose not to. I understand that great men and leaders have been apart of this brotherhood such as Dr. Martin Luther King, Warren Buffet, Neil Armstrong, and so on. But it just was not for me. However, the dude who lived across the hall from me decided to join. Prior to this, he was very friendly and outgoing. Once he joined, he became very introverted and, if I can be honest, he got  just plain weird.

I remember one time he was instructed to wake up at three in the morning dressed in all black, and he had to run across the Brooklyn bridge. I thought it was hilarious! His reasons for joining centered on the lifestyle, parties, girls, future career opportunities, and this underlying motif of “belonging.” That was primary the primary reason.

The Body of Christ. Christians are a part of something bigger than themselves. In fact, everybody is! We are a part of a particular narrative with a particular purpose, which is to ultimately glorify God, edify His church, and advance His kingdom. Sin has distorted that reality, but for those who are redeemed we understand God cares about His glory. Community for the Christian must be centered on our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. That’s the main reason why we can be of different ethnicities and cultures, yet worship together on Sunday morning. Our common interest is Jesus!

When I think about community, my mind reverts back to Acts 2:41-47. In this fellowship, there was teaching, eating, sharing, giving, praising, and so on. Verse 44 really sticks out when it says, “And all who believed were together and had all things in common.” Isn’t this good? All of these things took place because of the preaching of the word being received in the hearts of many, because of the Holy Spirit. Christians are part of a community that’s drastically different than any other community.

Conclusion. Everybody seeks some type of community. It is not limited to just gangs, fraternities, or the body of Christ. Perhaps, it’s NBA teams, Jordan sneakers, or hip-hop music. No matter age or ethnicity, we all seek it. I think we do so because it is embedded in us. We were not created to be alone. We were created in God’s image and likeness (Genesis 1: 26-27). We can say that the idea of community originated with God because in eternity past, before anything was even made, all three persons of the Godhead existed.

Think about it, within the Godhead, there are three divine persons who have different roles, yet are co-equal and co-eternal. Even with different roles, they all share a common interest that supersedes any other, the redemption of sinful people for the glory of the one who saves them. The Father elects, then the Son dies in their place, and the Holy Spirit regenerates them, which ushers them into a new community, the body of Christ. What community will you seek?

No comments: