Thursday, April 30, 2015

Now What? by John Talley III


Recently, I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Christian Studies from Grand Canyon University, a private Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona. After the ceremony, my sister asked me, “So what are you going to do now?”

I’ve been asked that question numerous times. I think it’s a very valid question. Before I answer, though, I want to unpack why I chose to pursue a degree in theology. First, I have a desire to preach and teach the Word of God. Second, I want to grow in my knowledge of Yahweh and His word. Finally, I would love to and I feel called to preach and teach in the local church context, as well in the world of Academia. I think my local church plays a critical role because church leadership will be able to evaluate me and testify to the gifts that God has graciously blessed me with.

So what am I going to do now that I have my degree? I told my sister that I wanted to be a pastor, an author, a Bible teacher, and a business owner. She looked shocked and said, “Oh, okay. Cool.”

I don’t think she was ready for my answer.

Nevertheless, I seek to continue to grow in my knowledge of God, lead my home and wife well, make disciples, and eventually church plant in the urban/inner city context. Furthermore, it would be a privilege to be on a church staff or in leadership in some capacity whether in a youth or college ministry or in the role of Bible teacher at a Christian high school. I would also like to further my theological education by attending a seminary within two years.

There is much more I can say about my preferred future. I know that God is sovereign and He will place me where He wants me to be. I have dreams and plans, but the Lord is the one who directs the steps (Proverbs 16:9). So please pray for my family and I as we step into the next phase of our lives.

No comments: