Monday, August 2, 2010

Three Thoughts After the Sermon

Three Thoughts After the Sermon
By Vermon Pierre, Lead Pastor

Here are three things that I'd like to further highlight from last Sunday's sermon, "Pure Words vs Impure Words" (Ps 12):

1. I've been thinking a lot these days about what kind of people we are becoming in today's information loaded, interconnected, always "on" world. Such an environment seems to more easily encourage and even embrace insincerity and hypocrisy. We don't just have a "double heart" (v.2), we have many hearts, one for each of the many lives we are living. Are we aware of these dangers? And what are we doing to address them?

2. Psalm 119 is just a great great psalm. Every time I find myself feeling a bit dry when it comes to reading and meditating on Scripture, Psalm 119 wakes me back. It reminds me of the great treasure the Lord has given us by giving us his word, and it inspires me to dive deep into it, knowing that it will lead me in paths of purity, delight and worship.

3. It's both an encouragement and warning to know that in the end all lies, deception, and hypocrisy will fade away and that it is the Lord and his word alone that will remain forever. If you spend your life saying and doing things that are essentially lies and deception, you will end up with nothing. Only a life lived along the contours of God's word will have something to show for itself when eternity comes.

2 comments:

Bryan Pavlovic said...

Amen Pastor V. Psalm 119 for the last week or so has really been ministering to my heart. You offer some great questions in your first part of this sermon reflection. Reflecting on your questions I am painfully aware of these "many hearts" of mine. I guess it is by grace he reveals my condition to me so He gets the glory as I seek Him to address this

V said...

Praising God with you for all that he's doing in your life and continues to be doing in your life Brother Bryan.